This chicken burger is SO good I do not even have the words for it. I had a burger very similar to it at The Dirty Duchess back in the summer, made by the amazing Smokey Trotter’s Kitchen. It was so good I knew I had to try and create my own version and so, here it is. The ingredients list may look long, but a lot of them are store cupboard ingredients and believe me, it’s SO easy to do and SO damn delicious.
It’s so good I made it about three or four times, you know, for testing purposes. It’s got crunchy, crispy fried chicken, zingy slaw, garlic mayo and that incredible gochujang glaze. You might be worried about where to find the gochujang, but you can get it online or in store from Oaka in Glasgow, which is where I got it from. Glasgow actually has so many Asian supermarkets, it’s a lot easier to get your hands on than you think! Or try UK online Asian supermarket, Hello Oriental. Believe me, it is worth it!
Korean Fried Chicken Burger with Cheats Asian Slaw
Ingredients (makes 2 burgers)
2 chicken breasts
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
Half a tsp salt
Half a tsp white pepper
50g plain flour
Sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
2 tbsp Gochujang paste
4 tbsp honey
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tsp crushed ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 brioche buns
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
50g pickled red cabbage
2-3 tbsp kimchi (I used Biona)
Juice of 1 lime
1. First, marinade the chicken in the buttermilk, paprika, garlic powder, salt and white pepper. Make sure everything is evenly coated, then cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours, but you can leave it overnight, or marinade in the morning for that evening.
2. When ready to cook, take the chicken out the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the gochujang, honey, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook over a low heat until incorporated and sticky, then keep warm.
3. In a separate large, heavy-bottomed pan or deep fryer, add enough oil to fully submerge the chicken, then bring to 190c. Put the plain flour on a plate and dredge the marinated chicken in it. Put the chicken back into the marinade, re-coat it, then dredge a second time in the flour. You can leave it on the floured plate until ready.
4. Once your oil is hot, carefully lower the chicken into pan or fryer and cook for 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp, gently turning the chicken halfway through. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
5. While the chicken cooks, in a bowl combine the pickled cabbage, kimchi and lime juice – this is your ‘cheats’ slaw, and toast your brioche buns.
6. To assemble, spoon some garlic mayo on the bottom of the buns, then top with the lettuce, slaw, and the chicken. Spoon the gochujang sauce liberally over each chicken breast, then finish with the top of the bun
7. Stuff it in your face and enjoy the hell out of that burger.