This is a great recipe for when you want something delicious and satisfying but also relatively healthy. I use spray oil to cook my mushrooms and reduced fat crème fraiche in the sauce, and the whole dish is 500kcals, and it has tonnes of flavour – perfect for using up leftover fresh herbs too!
Obviously if you’re not as concerned about it being healthy, go ahead and use full fat crème fraiche and normal olive oil to cook your mushrooms. Let me know if you decide to make it – comment below and be sure to tag me in your photos @theglasgowdiet on Instagram!
Creamy Mushroom and Herb Linguine with Grilled Chicken
Ingredients (serves two)
2 chicken breasts
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Handful each of fresh basil, fresh parsley, fresh chives
100g reduced fat crème fraiche
200g chestnut mushrooms
2 tbsp parmesan, grated
Spray oil, for cooking
1. Start by slashing your chicken breasts a few times with a sharp knife (this helps them absorb the marinade quicker). Place the chicken in a dish with one clove of crushed garlic, the zest of the lemon, the olive oil and some salt and pepper. Cover and chill for one hour, or longer, if you have time.
2. Next, place the parsley, basil and chives in a food processor or blender and blitz until roughly chopped. Add one clove of garlic, the crème fraiche and the juice of the lemon and blitz again. Add salt and pepper to taste, then set aside.
3. Put two non-stick pans over a medium heat (I used a griddle pan for my chicken, so use that if you have it). Add the chicken to the griddle pan and grill on each side for five minutes. Meanwhile, add some spray oil to the second pan and add the sliced mushrooms and cook without stirring for a few minutes until they begin to turn golden, then turn them over and cook on the other side.
4. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil and cook the linguine according to packet instructions.
5. Once the mushrooms are golden, season them with salt and pepper, remove them from the heat and add the herb and crème fraiche mix. Add the cooked pasta along with a little pasta water and toss it all together.
6. Divide the pasta between two bowls, top with the grilled chicken and sprinkle over the grated parmesan. Perfect with some garlic bread – as is everything, to be honest.