Everyone has their own version of fajitas, and I’ve been tweaking mine for years. I like to marinade my chicken for as long as possible for extra flavour, and serve it with salsa and smashed avocado.
These are super easy but have bags of flavour, especially when paired with my favourite accompaniment: lime sour cream. Do NOT skip it! I use it in almost ALL of my taco recipes. I use it in my Easy Fish Tacos, my Chicken Mole, AND even my Mexican Brisket Tacos. You know what they say – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
Let me know if you decide to make it – comment below and be sure to tag me in your photos @theglasgowdiet on Instagram!
The Best Chicken Fajitas
Ingredients (serves two generously)
500g chicken breast, cut into rough chunks
2 tsp crushed ginger
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp marjoram
1 onion, finely sliced
2 peppers, thinly sliced
100ml sour cream
Zest & juice of 1 lime
1 ripe avocado
1 tsp chilli puree
1 tsp garlic puree
Some grated cheddar
Some hot salsa
1. To a bowl or a zip lock bag, add the olive oil, ginger, garlic, juice of 1 lime, cumin, paprika, chilli powder, onion powder, marjoram, and some salt and pepper. Mix together, then add the chicken and toss to coat in the marinade. Cover and chill for at least one night or ideally overnight.
2. When you’re ready to cook, put a large, non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. While the chicken sears, wrap your tortilla wraps in some tin foil and place in the oven at about 75c to warm up.
3. Once the chicken is seared, add your sliced onion and pepper to the pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes until the veg has softened and the chicken is cooked through.
4. While the chicken and veg cooks, you can also prep your avocado and sour cream. Add the zest of your lime to the sour cream, stir to combine and set aside. In another bowl, mash up one ripe avocado and add the chilli and garlic purees, the juice of your lime and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
5. Time to serve up! Take the tortillas out of the oven, top with the sour cream and avocado, the chicken mix, and some grated cheddar. You can also add a splodge of salsa, if you fancy!