I used to make scones ALL the time and this is always my go-to recipe. It’s based on a very old Be-Ro recipe, but I’ve changed and adapted it over the years. I like to switch up the fillings depending on what I have in the cupboard, but white chocolate and cranberry is by far my favourite.
If plain, sweet scones are your thing, you can just omit the cranberries and white chocolate, or if you’re not into dried fruit, just add the white chocolate. Most importantly, there is only ONE way to top a scone: jam first, cream second. Any other suggestion is lunacy I tell you!
White Choc & Cranberry Scones
400g self raising flour
100g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp salt
75g white chocolate (drops or a block roughly chopped)
50g dried cranberries
50g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
Whipped cream and jam, to serve
1. Preheat your oven to 200c (fan). Place the flour, butter and salt in a bowl. Use clean hands to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles rough breadcrumbs. You can use a food processor, but when it comes to scones, I’ve always been taught to get your hands in!
2. Next, add your white chocolate, dried cranberries, caster sugar and baking powder and stir until everything is evenly mixed.
3. Mix your beaten eggs with your milk together, and add it to the dry mixture a little at a time until the dough just comes together, you don’t want it to be too wet, so don’t worry if you don’t use all of the egg and milk mixture.
4. Put the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to about 2-3cm thick. Use a cutter to cut scones out of the mixture and place onto a lined baking tray. Re-roll any scraps and continue cutting until all the dough is used up.
5. Brush the top of the scones with any leftover egg/milk mixture (or a little milk if you don’t have any left over), then bake in the oven for 10 minutes until risen and golden brown. While they are baking you can whip your cream and get your jam out. Serve warm and enjoy!
Remember to tag me in your photos @theglasgowdiet on Instagram if you make them!